The Stone Hut that rests upon Mount Mansfield’s peak was constructed in 1935 by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC). It is only accessible by ski lift, and all guests must carry in their own gear. For 80 years, ski enthusiasts used the hut for the chance to get first tracks.
In an unfortunate accident, the hut burned down on Christmas of 2015. Engineering Ventures assisted with the design and rehabilitation of what remained of the structure. As part of the rehabilitation of the hut, they needed to alter the structural systems to comply with modern code.
Our engineers performed an evaluation of the site, and developed an improved site plan for visitor access. On the side, they assisted with designing a wood shed. EV’s engineers determined that the stone masonry walls were sturdy enough to keep. However, the fire burned the wooden elements beyond repair.
In an effort to preserve the historic nature of the building, our engineers made an effort to replicate the original log roof framing and supports. Not even a year after the fire, the Stone Hut was open for reservations in November of 2016. The interior has a modern look with its bright new wood, yet it keeps the rustic charm of the previous iteration. Guests can once again be delighted with the opportunity to claim first tracks on Mount Mansfield.