The First Congregational Church in Williamstown, MA celebrated its 250th anniversary in 2015. Rebuilding, fires, removals and additions may have changed the appearance of the building from its original small wood structure, but the importance of the church to the community at large has held steady. In preparation for their next 250 years, the church
Project Type: Religious Facilities
The story surrounding the Lost Shul Mural begins in 1910 at the Chai Adam Synagogue in the north end of Burlington, where the population of Lithuanian Jewish immigrants had swelled to 800. The congregation at the Chai Adam Synagogue, built in the 1880’s, hired Ben Zion Black, a recent immigrant from Kovno, Lithuania to paint
Structural engineering services were provided for the analysis and design of the primary structural framing and the foundations for the proposed structures including the stair and elevator tower, the enclosed spaces for mechanical room and toilet, the bridges and ramps, and retaining walls.
Documentation and evaluation of existing conditions were made to evaluate ceiling plaster cracking in this 1806 landmark building at the north end of Main Street in Middlebury. Plans and details have been provided for structural upgrades to be made prior to undertaking a significant plaster rehabilitation project.
Working with the Church for over 6 years, an assessment report was developed and plans implemented to rehabilitate the hammer beam trusses of this 100+ year old building.
An assessment report has been developed and preliminary plans have been developed to improve the existing roof structure.
Roof reinforcing was provided for a seriously deflected and sagged heavy timber truss roof. The roof structure had settled, and had key broken and undersized members.
Site engineering was provided for the replacement of the exterior fire suppression and potable water line. Structural services include a new addition on the back of the building, reinforcing of the heavy timber frame roof and main sanctuary floor, and renovations to an existing addition.
Civil services included exterior drainage work around the building foundation necessitated by water infiltration into the lower level. Additional services included a full structural analysis on this 1836 building in order for it to meet the current Code required loads. Work included review and upgrades to the steeple, roof, main sanctuary floor, lower level floor
Civil and permitting services were provided for a small entry addition and drop-off with associated site and drainage improvements. Remediation included determining the source of water, alternative means of collecting water, and options were provided for the water discharge. Also provided were site grading, hardscape design, drainage and erosion control.